Hi Friends,

Even as I launch this today ( my 80th Birthday ), I realize that there is yet so much to say and do. There is just no time to look back, no time to wonder,"Will anyone read these pages?"

With regards,
Hemen Parekh
27 June 2013

Now as I approach my 90th birthday ( 27 June 2023 ) , I invite you to visit my Digital Avatar ( www.hemenparekh.ai ) – and continue chatting with me , even when I am no more here physically

Wednesday 17 July 2013

A Drop in the Ocean ?

As per Hindustan Times ( 14 July, 2013 ) report, Food Corporation of India [ FCI ] lost rice and wheat worth Rs 2050 Crores in transit and storage , during last 3 years

That was a mere 1.1 Million tons

What is a mere 1.1 million tons , compared to 50 million tons of grains planned to be distributed to 800 million poor Indians , every year , under Food Security Bill ?

( Ans : It is a mere Rs 1,25,000 Crores )

If you go by Mr Tariq Anwar - Union Minister of State for Agriculture and Food Processing -,  30 % of food grains supplied thru the Public Distribution System ( PDS ) , is lost every year !

How about replacing the Public Distribution System ( thru elimination of all middlemen ) , with a Poor Distribution System , under which , poor can simply queue up before the FCI godowns / silos and collect those grains for FREE , before they rot ?

hemen

No comments:

Post a Comment