Hi Friends,

Even as I launch this today ( my 80th Birthday ), I realize that there is yet so much to say and do. There is just no time to look back, no time to wonder,"Will anyone read these pages?"

With regards,
Hemen Parekh
27 June 2013

Now as I approach my 90th birthday ( 27 June 2023 ) , I invite you to visit my Digital Avatar ( www.hemenparekh.ai ) – and continue chatting with me , even when I am no more here physically

Wednesday 10 July 2013

Judicial Activism ?

Yesterday , Supreme Court announced :


MPs / MLAs , who have been handed out a sentence of 2 years or more , will immediately lose their membership of the Parliament / Assembly.

Will this order also prevent persons with criminal records from " contesting " elections ? 

I don't know

I am only happy that we have a Judiciary that is finally getting " Active " !

Sure , some will argue that the Courts are stepping into the domain of the legislative wings of our Democracy

But when the Lawmakers of the land become corrupt and even criminal , the Courts become the last resort for the poor people !

If lawmakers cannot - or will not - decide , then someone else has to !

Of Course , from the vested interests , there will be cries of " Judicial Activism " and of " Supremacy of the Parliament " !

The only interest of people in power , is to perpetuate the " Status Quo "

If they have their way , they will even pass a law which will prescribe following eligibility criteria for being able to contest an election ( Panchayat / State / National ) :

" A contestant must be a son / daughter / son-in-law / daughter-in-law / nephew / niece / spouse or any distant relative of a sitting or past MP / MLA - preferably with a criminal record "



--  hemen




No comments:

Post a Comment