Hi Friends,

Even as I launch this today ( my 80th Birthday ), I realize that there is yet so much to say and do. There is just no time to look back, no time to wonder,"Will anyone read these pages?"

With regards,
Hemen Parekh
27 June 2013

Now as I approach my 90th birthday ( 27 June 2023 ) , I invite you to visit my Digital Avatar ( www.hemenparekh.ai ) – and continue chatting with me , even when I am no more here physically

Monday 6 June 2011

THE FINE ART OF NEGOTIATIONS

6 June 2011

THE  FINE  ART  OF  NEGOTIATIONS
It consists of  :

·     Give and Take /  Compromise

You win some – you lose some. Agreement cannot be entirely on your own terms.

·     Face Saving Formula / A Win-Win Situation

                 No party must feel having “ lost – out “

·     Deal with Devil / Never walk-out

                 You don’t decide who shall represent opposite party

·     Red Herring
                 
                Some demands get included in a “ Charter of Demands “, only to divert your attention. These always get dropped later.

·     Negotiate / Negotiate / Negotiate

                  You cannot adopt a “ Take it or Leave it “ attitude

·     Don’t be in a hurry to settle

         If you exhibit a sense of extreme urgency, it will be treated as your weakness and taken advantage of.

·     Never give an empty threat

                  Opposite party may call your bluff !

·     Never say “ Never “ !

                  You may have to eat your words.

·     Do not go public

Never reveal what is shared with you in “confidence“

My request to Baba Ramdev / Anna Hazare and Kapil Sibal :

         Points listed above form the corner-stone of “ Negotiating in Good Faith “. Personal prestige has no place in it. Only the larger interest of your constituency counts.

My question to Kapil Sibal :

         You can arrest Baba Ramdev. How will you arrest people’s anger? Even military dictators of middle-east could not !

With regards

HEMEN  PAREKH

No comments:

Post a Comment