Hi Friends,

Even as I launch this today ( my 80th Birthday ), I realize that there is yet so much to say and do. There is just no time to look back, no time to wonder,"Will anyone read these pages?"

With regards,
Hemen Parekh
27 June 2013

Now as I approach my 90th birthday ( 27 June 2023 ) , I invite you to visit my Digital Avatar ( www.hemenparekh.ai ) – and continue chatting with me , even when I am no more here physically

Wednesday 6 July 2011

In India, cash is the King !


DNA ( June 27,2011 ) reports :


Ø      No of Rs 500 + Rs 1000 notes in circulation in India

        >          17.1 % by volume

        >         76.5 % by value

And, most likely no more than 1 % by frequency of circulation !


Ø   Highest denomination bank notes in

       USA ..         100  Dollar ( 100 times smallest note )

           UK  .             50  Pound ( 50 times smallest note )

           India .        1000  Rupees ( 1000 times smallest note )


USA / UK have avoided higher denomination notes, only because they facilitate corruption , money laundering etc.

Monetary authorities in USA / UK have found a link between high value bank notes and clandestine dealings.

No wonder our politicians are reluctant to de-monetize ! 1000 rupee notes are so easy to carry / store / give / receive – even brandish bundles in parliament !


De-monetization is certainly not the only answer to the problem of black money in India, but it could well be a part of the solution.

With regards

hemen  parekh

No comments:

Post a Comment