Hi Friends,

Even as I launch this today ( my 80th Birthday ), I realize that there is yet so much to say and do. There is just no time to look back, no time to wonder,"Will anyone read these pages?"

With regards,
Hemen Parekh
27 June 2013

Now as I approach my 90th birthday ( 27 June 2023 ) , I invite you to visit my Digital Avatar ( www.hemenparekh.ai ) – and continue chatting with me , even when I am no more here physically

Thursday 19 January 2012

Starving / Dying can be saved


If only the world learns not to waste food

Here are statistics provided by United Nations :

Ø  935  million people currently don’t have enough food to eat

Ø  Each year, some 6 million children die , all over the world , due to malnutrition ( of which 1.6 million die in India alone )

Ø  One – third of the food produced globally every year , does not reach human mouths – a staggering 1.3 Billion tones / year !

Ø  Per Capita per year, food wasted :


·        By USA and Europe ………………….. 95 – 115  Kg

·        By Africa and Asia ……………………    6 -    11  Kg


Ø  Percentage of purchased food thrown away by consumers :


·        In  USA…………………………………………. 25  %

·        In  UK  …………………………………………. 33  %



Monks belonging to Jain religion in India must ( apart from remaining strict vegetarian ),

·        Go around homes of parishioners, collecting food in wooden bowls ( but only once a day )

·        Eat everything served. Even water used for cleaning bowls must be consumed by drinking !

·        Never store food




We don’t have to become Jains in order to save the starving millions.

Just don’t waste food


With  regards

hemen  parekh

No comments:

Post a Comment