Hi Friends,

Even as I launch this today ( my 80th Birthday ), I realize that there is yet so much to say and do. There is just no time to look back, no time to wonder,"Will anyone read these pages?"

With regards,
Hemen Parekh
27 June 2013

Now as I approach my 90th birthday ( 27 June 2023 ) , I invite you to visit my Digital Avatar ( www.hemenparekh.ai ) – and continue chatting with me , even when I am no more here physically

Monday 9 July 2012

HOW DO YOU EXPLAIN THIS?

From a report in Times of India [ 13, July 2012 ] :

  • During last year , British people left “ unworn “ , 1,700,000,000  items of clothing ( approx. 28 items per person )

  • Approx 1/3 rd of these “ unwanted “ clothes ( 430,000 tons ) ended up in landfills ( garbage dumps )

  • Total cost of these “ unworn “ items was British Pounds 30 billion

  • That means , during last year , on an average , every British person threw away , brand new clothes worth,

·     Pound ……… 484

·     Dollars……….757

·     Rupees…….. 41,624

(more than per capita income of 1.2 billion Indians  !)

  • And this is a country with

·     4,500,000  unemployed

·     $ 200  billion of budget deficit

I suppose these ( no doubt ) imported garments must be helping the Chinese Economy !

Hemen  Parekh

No comments:

Post a Comment