Hi Friends,

Even as I launch this today ( my 80th Birthday ), I realize that there is yet so much to say and do. There is just no time to look back, no time to wonder,"Will anyone read these pages?"

With regards,
Hemen Parekh
27 June 2013

Now as I approach my 90th birthday ( 27 June 2023 ) , I invite you to visit my Digital Avatar ( www.hemenparekh.ai ) – and continue chatting with me , even when I am no more here physically

Monday 20 September 2010

GENDER IMBALANCE AT BOARD LEVEL ?

20 Sep 2010

GENDER IMBALANCE AT BOARD LEVEL ?

As reported in Times of India ( Sept.18,2010 ), a study, conducted jointly by Standard Chartered Bank and Cranfield School of Management re: representation of women on Boards of Directors of Companies, found following figures :

·                      Canada……………………………..15%

·                      USA…………………………………..14.5 %

·                      UK………………………………………12.2 %

·                       Hong Kong………………………….8.9 %

·                      Australia…………………………….8.3 %

·                      India…………………………………..5.3 %

For India, the study tells us that women held 59 out of a total of 1112 directorships in the BSE-100 group.

What the study does not reveal is :

" How many of these 59 women were a mother / sister / daughter / wife of the promoters ?

Co-author of the report Aparna Banerji says :

Corporate India clearly has some way to go in addressing gender imbalance at “ board level ".

But that would not happen till Corporate HR Managers start hiring many more girls at the “ entry level ” - and to begin with, in the HR function itself !

Hemen  Parekh

No comments:

Post a Comment