Hi Friends,

Even as I launch this today ( my 80th Birthday ), I realize that there is yet so much to say and do. There is just no time to look back, no time to wonder,"Will anyone read these pages?"

With regards,
Hemen Parekh
27 June 2013

Now as I approach my 90th birthday ( 27 June 2023 ) , I invite you to visit my Digital Avatar ( www.hemenparekh.ai ) – and continue chatting with me , even when I am no more here physically

Monday 21 May 2012

PROBLEM OF PLENTY ?

By 1st of June 2012 , stock of food grains with FCI ( Food Corporation of India ) will reach 75.7 million tons

But , no more than 50 million tons can be kept under covered storage !

Rest will be left to rot in the open under the monsoon rains

Even as 1.6 million children ( under 5 ) will die of mal-nutrition in 2012

That is 4,384 children every single day !

A panel headed by Mr. C Rangarajan [ Chief Economic Advisor to Prime Minister ] , recommends following way for disposing the “ Surplus “ stock :

1.  Export
  
·     2 million tons ….  thru Government Channels
·     1 million tons ….  thru Private Channels

2.  Distribute

·     8 million tons…   to families below poverty line
·     2 million tons…   to families above poverty line

Earlier , a Group of Ministers [ GoM ] headed by Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee had shot down the proposal to distribute 10 million tons of surplus food grains to poor people because of “ Fiscal Constraints “ !

For him , saving 1.6 million children at a “ Subsidy Cost “ of Rs 19,500 Crores , works out to a whooping Rs 12,187 per child saved !

Clearly unthinkable for a “ Would Be “ President of India !

With regards

HEMEN  PAREKH

No comments:

Post a Comment