Hi Friends,

Even as I launch this today ( my 80th Birthday ), I realize that there is yet so much to say and do. There is just no time to look back, no time to wonder,"Will anyone read these pages?"

With regards,
Hemen Parekh
27 June 2013

Now as I approach my 90th birthday ( 27 June 2023 ) , I invite you to visit my Digital Avatar ( www.hemenparekh.ai ) – and continue chatting with me , even when I am no more here physically

Monday 21 March 2016

Next Generation Newspaper ?


There must be many readers of newspapers , who ( like me ) wish they were able to instantly communicate with a person whose name is mentioned in an article / news report

I often feel like writing to the author of a newspaper article or to the journalist who wrote a piece of news

Whenever that desire is too strong , I spend hours on Google , searching for email ID of the person concerned

Sometimes I succeed but more often , I give up in frustration !

Even when I do find what looks like a legitimate looking email ID and spend hours typing email in Outlook , I doubt , it will reach the concerned person

And since I have so far received a reply against not more than one percent of the mails sent by me , I suppose , these never get delivered or get junked

For me , a very frustrating situation

How can people ( who are targeted by me ) , fail to read my mails and respond ?

OK , even if they do not wish to respond , why cannot they , at least " acknowledge "  ?

Of course , if a person were to actually receive every message ( email / SMS / Voice-Mail etc ) that everyone else who wants to send , it will be a deluge , especially if the recipient is a celebrity .

 A SPAM of a gigantic proportion  !

But then , advances of technology rarely bother about its undesirable " side effects "

Hence , it is only a matter of time before you experience following scenario :

*  Your paper newspaper gets replaced by a plain white LED embedded and internet connected sheet of plastic ( fold-able too )

*  Every morning , unfold it , and touch on a icon at the top bearing the name of your desired news-source ( Publication / TV Channel / Web site etc )

*  Touch a Subject Icon ( Politics / Sports / Entertainment / Economics etc )

Voila  !

All - and the only news , you ever cared to read - will instantly appear on that plastic !

Without advertisements , if you so desire

And where , touching on any NAME of any person ( or of any organization ) , appearing anywhere , will enable you to,

*  Read out / record your message , or

*  On a virtual keyboard , type out your message

A long press on the name will reveal ALL the messages ever sent to that person ( or that Organization ) , in a reverse chronological order

If any message is a spoken message , the " News-Plastic " ( cannot call it " paper " ), will read it back to you

Now , those targeted recipients ( of the messages ) will  receive those messages on their own " News-Plastic " , under an icon called , IN-BOX

Of course , nothing stops them from " long press " on their own name appearing in the news article and find out what other readers are trying to convey - and in what context

If  a person's name appears anywhere in the news , in his own " News Plastic " , it will be highlighted in RED color

No need for me to search those Email IDs in Google !

For those who worry about invasion of personal privacy , I quote onetime CEO of Sun Microsystems , Scot McNealy who , in 1999 said :

" Privacy is dead , so get over it "

All that we can hope is that it is an Indian Start Up which comes out with " News Plastic "

I hope news paper industry remembers Ted Levitt's  ( Marketing Myopia ) :

" If you don't obsolete yourself , someone else will "

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hemenparekh.in  /  blogs

22  March  2016




No comments:

Post a Comment