Hi Friends,

Even as I launch this today ( my 80th Birthday ), I realize that there is yet so much to say and do. There is just no time to look back, no time to wonder,"Will anyone read these pages?"

With regards,
Hemen Parekh
27 June 2013

Now as I approach my 90th birthday ( 27 June 2023 ) , I invite you to visit my Digital Avatar ( www.hemenparekh.ai ) – and continue chatting with me , even when I am no more here physically

Saturday 22 July 2017

What Business Are You In ?




For the entire Telecom Industry , the one lesson they must learn after the latest announcement of Shri Mukesh Ambani , is what Ted Levitt wrote in his seminal essay (  Marketing Myopia / 1960  ) :


" What business are you in ?  If you don't make yourself obsolete , someone else will "


He went on to quote the example of the US Railroads , who thought they were in the “ RAILROAD BUSINESS “


Along came Henry Ford with his Model T , saying :  I am in the business of  TRANSPORTING PEOPLE


And made the railroads obsolete ( at least in USA ) , as far as  PEOPLE BUSINESS  was concerned !


I still cannot forget when I had a 30 minute one-to-one meeting with late Shri Dhirubhai Ambani , in February 1990 , when , for a short period , he was Chairman of L&T


I said :

Sir , I just resigned as General Manager ( Planning & Development ) of L&T , after working for 31 years


I was hoping that he would dissuade me from resigning


To my utter surprise , he said :

Very Good !  Despite being son of a Bania , why did you work for someone else for 31 years ?

Dhandho Karo ( Start your own business ) . If you need funds , just tell me . I keep a separate fund for people from Saurashtra



The he explained to me in details , his plans for a backward integration of his business :

"  From Fabric to Yarn to Petro-Chemicals ( which are basic raw materials for synthetic yarn ) to Refining to Production to Exploration of Oil "



It is high time for the giants of Telecom Industry to ask of themselves :

WHAT  BUSINESS  ARE  WE  IN  ?



Are we in the business of  “ MOBILE  TELEPHONY “  or are we in the business of  “ MOBILE  ENTERTAINMENT “ ?


Then , after 5 years , what business should we be in ?


Should we continue to remain in “ MOBILE  ENTERTAINMENT “ or should we consider ourselves in the business of “ MOBILE  SOLUTIONS “  for ANY / EVERY problem faced by a user ?


And should we continue our “ Backward  Integration “  into the  ENTERTAINMENT INDUSTRY  or should we integrate with Start Ups in HEALTH-CARE  /  EDUCATION  /  EMPLOYMENT  ?


The writing is on the Wall – for professional executives who can read !

==================================================================================

23  July  2017


www.hemenparekh.in / blogs

No comments:

Post a Comment