In the “ Right to Privacy “ litigation before a 9 judge Constitutional Bench of the Supreme Court , arguments concluded yesterday , ending 6 days of “ beating around the bush “ !
But , at least 3 parties seem to have got it RIGHT :
· Justice D Y Chandrachud cautioned that privacy could not be raised to a level so as to stifle innovation ….. those adjudicating on privacy must ensure that our quest for innovation is not stifled
[ source : Hindustan Times / 03 Aug ]
· Additional Solicitor General , Tushar Mehta contended :
“ Whether or not the Court declares it as a fundamental right , there is very little of it left in this information age “
· The Unique Identity Development Authority of India ( UIDAI ), the agency that enrols citizens for Aadhaar and issues the 12-digit identity number , argued that privacy was an elusive notion in the online age “
[ source : Economic Times / 03 Aug ]
“ Taxmen Tap Data Analytics to Uncover Benami Deals “
Bank deposits , property registration , tax returns, PAN, Social Media posts, foreign travel and credit card statements under taxman’s scrutiny
Big data analytics undertaking cross referencing of different data & raising red flags
All of this started with the petitioners opposing the linking of Aadhaar with the PAN ( Permanent Account Number ) issued to income tax payers
How myopic can you get ?
All that the government has to do is :
· Tell the Supreme Court : We will not ask for Aadhar Number to be linked to PAN
· Tell UIDAI and Income Tax department , to issue ( or re-issue ) those documents ( cards bearing unique numbers ), only AFTER recording the following BIOMETRIC data :
# IRIS scan
# Finger-print scan
# Voice-print scan
# Facial Recognition scan
· Get the Central Server ( BIG DATA BROTHER ? ) to “ Match “ those Bio-metric Scans , to establish that “ desired linkage “ !
As simple as that ! No Rocket Science !
[ source : Times of India / 01 Aug ]
AI Chatbots spook Facebook , Shut Down
Facebook shut down an AI system on Monday , where chatbots had started speaking in their OWN LANGUAGE , without human input
In June, Facebook said the bots had created a NEW LANGUAGE that only AI systems could understand and NO HUMAN COULD !
These bots also proved to be “ INCREDIBLY CRAFTY NEGOTIATORS “
Future historians might write :
India was born , a free nation on 15 Aug 1947
70 years later , Privacy began its terminal illness on 15 Aug 2017
03 Aug 2017
www.hemenparekh.in / blogs