Hi Friends,

Even as I launch this today ( my 80th Birthday ), I realize that there is yet so much to say and do. There is just no time to look back, no time to wonder,"Will anyone read these pages?"

With regards,
Hemen Parekh
27 June 2013

Now as I approach my 90th birthday ( 27 June 2023 ) , I invite you to visit my Digital Avatar ( www.hemenparekh.ai ) – and continue chatting with me , even when I am no more here physically

Friday 8 December 2017

Is there a parallel ?




In India , some 6 lakh persons die premature deaths each year due to air pollution



And 10 lakh suffer same early death each year due to tobacco use



To reduce air pollution , many countries are planning to phase out petrol / diesel vehicles and phase-in, electric vehicles , such as :



 *        UK………………. 2040

·         Scotland…….. 2032

·         France………..  2040

·         Norway……….  2025

·         Austria……….   2025

·         Netherlands.   2030

·         China……….     2030

·         Finland…….     2030

·         India……….      2030


·         Hopefully , soon after 2030 ( 13 years from now ) , those 6 lakh premature deaths in India will come down drastically – all due to public hue and cry and admirably rapid response from our Policy Makers ( especially , Shri Nitin Gadkariji )


·         But I don’t find similar “ sense of urgency “ from the concerned ministers , in respect of premature deaths due to tobacco-related causes !


·         If anything , matters seem to be getting worse , if one reads following news reports which appeared in papers :












Why cannot we plan to phase out all tobacco usage in next 15 / 20 years , in much the same way , we are planning to phase out petrol / diesel vehicles  ?




While introducing a bill to ban petrol / diesel cars from California by 2040 , here is what Assembly Member , Phil Ting said :



“ Until you set a deadline, nothing gets done,”  Ting told Bloomberg. “ It’s responsible for us to set a deadline 23 years in advance.





As far back as Aug 2013 , I suggested such a 20 year “ Phase Out “ for tobacco ( 2013 – 2033 ) , in my following blog , detailing very specific steps / bench marks :





It is a pity, no citizen is asking the politicians :

“ When will you include this plan in your Poll Manifesto ? “


09  Dec  2017





No comments:

Post a Comment